Each year, the Council of Academic Professionals forms the committee to evaluate and select six recipients from those nominated for the Chancellor's Academic Professional Excellence (CAPE) Award—designed to recognize demonstrated excellence by academic professional staff on the Urbana campus, including off-campus staff of Continuing Education and Public Service, and Cooperative Extension Service.
Nominees are judged on three criteria: work, personal, and professional contributions, defined below in order of importance for the award. Usually nominees will excel in all three areas, but individuals may be nominated for uncommon strength in one or two.
Each winner of the CAPE award will receive $2,000 by direct deposit for personal use and a $1,000 permanent salary increase. In addition, $1,000 will be added on a one-time basis to each winner's departmental budget the following fiscal year for materials or training that will benefit the winner's workplace in the future years.
How well the nominee advances the mission of his or her home unit and the campus within the context of the campus' traditional missions of teaching, research, and public service. There should be an explanation of the work of the individual and the impact of that work.
The positive impact the nominee has on others: faculty, staff, students, and members of the public. In addition, there should be an explanation of the way in which the nominee meets the special demands of his or her workplace.
The contributions the nominee has made and the recognition the nominee has received in his or her professional field including publications, participation in professional societies, and committee work. In addition, there should be a discussion of the nominee's impact at the regional, national, or international level, if applicable.
- Must have been employed as an academic professional employee assigned to duties at the Urbana-Champaign campus for at least three years at full-time or the equivalent (e.g., 100% appointment for three years or 50% appointment for six years).*
- May be an off-campus academic professional staff member of the University of Illinois Extension or Continuing Education, and University Administration academic professional located in Urbana-Champaign
- May not hold any professorial title.**
- May not be teaching or research associates, postdoctoral research associates, lecturers, and instructors.
- May receive the CAPE award only once.
- May be eligible if retired only if he or she is in active employee status at the time of the awards ceremony scheduled for April 1, 2010.
*Academic professionals in the College of Nursing located on this campus should be nominated for the CAPE Award at UI Chicago.
** Zero percent professorial title will not disqualify